Table of Contents
Rivotril 0.5mg Tablet is a prescription medicine used to treat epilepsy (seizures) and anxiety disorder. It helps to decrease the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells and calms the brain.
Some common side effects of this medicine include fatigue, depression and impaired coordination. It may also cause dizziness and sleepiness, so do not drive or do anything that requires mental focus until you know how this medicine affects you. It is important to inform your doctor if you develop any unusual changes in mood or depression as this medicine may cause suicidal thoughts.
WHAT IS RIVOTRIL ?
Rivotril (generically known as clonazepam) is a benzodiazepine medication that’s often prescribed to people who have epilepsy or some other kind of seizure disorder. Klonopin is another common brand name for basically the same chemical formula. It is also prescribed for panic disorders.
WHAT RIVOTRIL IS USED FOR
Rivotril drops and tablets are used for the treatment of epilepsy in infants, children and adults.
Rivotril injection is also used to treat status epilepticus (prolonged or repeated fits or seizures without any recovery between attacks).
Rivotril belongs to a group of medicines called benzodiazepines. They are thought to work by their action on brain chemicals.
Your doctor, however, may have prescribed Rivotril for another reason.
HOW TO USE RIVOTRIL TABLET
WARNING-Rivotril Oral liquid
Measure the prescribed dose of Rivotril Oral liquid as DROPS ONLY. Refer to ‘Oral Drops’ under the heading ‘How to take it’ below for more information.
Take this medicine in the dose and duration as advised by your doctor. Swallow it as a whole. Do not chew, crush or break it. Rivotril 0.5mg Tablet may be taken with or without food, but it is better to take it at a fixed time.
HOW MUCH TO TAKE
Take Rivotril exactly as your doctor has prescribed. Your doctor will tell you how much Rivotril to take each day. The dose varies from person to person depending on age and the condition being treated. Infants and children may need a lower dosage and the use of Rivotril drops is recommended
HOW RIVOTRIL TABLET WORKS
Rivotril 0.5mg Tablet is a benzodiazepine. It works by increasing the action of a chemical messenger (GABA) which suppresses the abnormal and excessive activity of the nerve cells in the brain.
WHAT IF YOU FORGET TO TAKE RIVOTRIL TABLET?
If you miss a dose of Rivotril 0.5mg Tablet , take it as soon as possible. However, if it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular schedule. Do not double the dose.
BEFORE YOU TAKE RIVOTRIL
DO NOT TAKE RIVOTRIL IF:
1. you have had an allergic reaction to Rivotril, any other benzodiazepine medicine or any ingredients listed at the end of this leaflet Some symptoms of an allergic reaction may include: shortness of breath wheezing or difficulty in breathing swelling of the face, lips, tongue or other parts of the bodyfat, itching or hives on the skin
2. you have severe and chronic lung disease
3. you have severe liver disease
4. you have an addiction to drugs or alcohol
5. the package is torn or shows signs of tampering
6. the expiry date (EXP) printed on the pack has passed. If you take this medicine after the expiry date has passed it may not work as well. Rivotril injection contains benzyl alcohol and must not be given to newborn babies, especially premature babies.
If you are not sure if you should be taking Rivotril , talk to your doctor.
BEFORE YOU START TO TAKE IT:
Your doctor must know about all the following before you start to take Rivotril.
1. if you are pregnant or plan to become pregnant is not known whether Rivotril is harmful to an unborn baby when taken by a pregnant woman. If there is a need to take Rivotril when you are pregnant your doctor will discuss the risks and benefits to you and the unborn baby.
2. if you are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed Rivotril may pass into the breast milk and cause drowsiness and/or feeding difficulties in the baby. Rivotril is not recommended for use while breastfeeding.
3. if you have any other health problems including: liver, kidney or lung disease high or low blood pressure myasthenia gravis (severe muscle weakness)sleep apnea (a condition where you have temporary stops in breathing during sleep)glaucoma (a condition where you have high pressure in the eye)depression, psychosis or schizophrenia and /or you have had depression or suicidal thoughts in the past. porphyria (a rare blood pigment disorder)a history of alcohol or drug abuse
4. if you drink alcohol You should not drink alcohol while taking Rivotril. Alcohol may increase the effects of Rivotril and lead to serious side effects.
5. if you are lactose intolerant
6. if you are allergic to any other medicines, foods, dyes or preservatives.
BENEFITS OF RIVOTRIL TABLET
In Treatment of Anxiety disorder
Tell your doctor or pharmacist as soon as possible if you do not feel well while you are taking Rivotril.
Rivotril helps most people with epilepsy but it may have unwanted side effects in a few people. All medicines can have side effects. Sometimes they are serious, most of the time they are not. You may need medical treatment if you get some of the side effects.
Ask your doctor or pharmacist to answer any questions you may have.
Tell your doctor if you notice any of the following and they worry you:
loss of memory, inattentiveness, confusion, lack of concentration
headache, hangover feeling in the morning
Tell your doctor immediately or go to Accident and Emergency at your nearest hospital if you notice any of the following:
- difficulties in breathing
- sudden anxiety or excitation
- hallucinations or delusions
- severe sleep disturbances
These are serious side effects. You may need urgent medical attention. Serious side effects are rare.
This is not a complete list of all possible side effects. Others may occur in some people and there may be some side effects not yet known.